Are You Facing Family Trouble?

5 Stars

Glenda T

"Your services have been great for us and provide peace of mind. Glad to have you on our side."

Schedule Free Evaluation

Free Case Evaluation: 3 Easy Steps



Complete our simple online questionnaire



Schedule a free consultation with one of our Attorneys



Receive individualized solutions tailored to your situation

Name Change

After getting married, name change is quite common. Other reasons a person may wish to change their name include divorce, safety concerns, to improve their business, or simply because the person does not like the name they were given. In the state of Florida, a name change must be approved by a judge in order to be legal. Though your new name may be reflected on your marriage certificate, name change must be applied for and validated before it is actually official.

Name Change Process

Changing your name starts by filling out a form provided by the state. The process to change your name can actually be quite complicated if you are missing certain information about your family, if you have moved quite a bit, if you have a criminal record, or for a variety of other reasons.

Aside from your Social Security number, you are required to present the following information when seeking a name change:

Proof of residency in the county where you are applying for a name change
Date and place of birth as well as parent’s names
Places you have lived since birth
The name of your spouse and the names, ages, and place of residency of any children
Information for your employers from the last five years
Any other names you are commonly known by
Any felony convictions
Any cases against you in which you owe someone money
Whether or not your civil rights have ever been suspended
Once your name change is approved, you will still need to complete your Social Security card name change. At the Social Security office, name change on your card is a relatively simple matter. Once your name change is legalized, you can go to the Social Security Administration website to request that your name be changed on your Social Security card. It is vital that you do this to ensure that you can continue to be paid legally by your employer and in order to receive Social Security benefits.

In order to change your name, you must provide the reason why you would like to change your name. Marital name change is the most common reason and is almost always accepted. If you can’t present a valid reason why you would like to change your name, the judge may deny your petition. The judge may also deny your petition if he or she has reason to suspect that you may be changing your name for illegal purposes.

Our Locations


150 North Orange Avenue

Suite 303B

Orlando, Florida 32801

(407) 455-7359

Get Directions


100 South Ashley Street,

Suite 600

Tampa, Florida 33602

(813) 496-7375

Get Directions

Fort Lauderdale

888 South Andrews Avenue

Suite 302

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33316

(954) 334-7776

Get Directions

Fort Myers

5237 Summerlin Commons Blvd

Suite 305

Fort Myers, Florida 33907

(239) 275-2279

Get Directions

West Palm Beach

324 Datura Street

Suite 150

West Palm Beach, Florida 33401

(561) 847-7721

Get Directions

St. Petersburg

970 Lake Carillon

Suite 356

St. Petersburg, Florida 33716

* By Appointment Only*

(727) 497-6076

Get Directions


Lakeland 1102 S. Florida Ave

Suite 121

Lakeland, Florida 33803

* By Appointment Only*

(863) 327-1724

Get Directions


6767 North Wickham Road

Suite 400

Melbourne, Florida 32940

* By Appointment Only*

(321) 460-1646

Get Directions


120 South Woodland Boulevard

Suite 203

DeLand, Florida 32720

* By Appointment Only*

(386) 626-0011

Get Directions


1415 Panther Lane

Suite 374

Naples, Florida 34109

* By Appointment Only*

(239) 201-2527

Get Directions


3350 SW 148th Ave.

Suite 110

Miramar, Florida 33027

(305) 967-6361

Get Directions


50 North Laura St

Suite 2566

Jacksonville, Florida 32202

(904) 224-1522

Get Directions